Friday 5 August 2016

बहुत शर्म आती है.

1

I am an ardent admirer of my country, India. In fact I am one of those people who listens to patriotic songs about India on loop frequently, with that high of emotions every now and then. And why shouldn't I? India is great - its diversity, people, food, and culture is splendid.

Last night somebody asked me about India and suddenly my expressions, tone of voice and words changed to immense happiness, pride and a rush of emotions, leading to tears in my eyes. That person replied in astonishment, "I wish I could feel the same about my country."

The next morning sitting amidst an international mix of scholars working and researching on human trafficking, the focus came to India and the popular statement that most of human trafficking is in, to and via India. Women and girls being sold on a massive scale everyday. I felt ashamed. Very ashamed. Despite the gradual change (which is commendable and appreciable) in India and elsewhere across the world regarding the discourse on human trafficking, I felt very ashamed.

बहुत शर्म आती है. बहुत बहुत ज़्यादा. उससे भी ज़्यादा शर्म आती है अपने देश पे जब लोग चुप रहते हैं, बोलते नहीं. उन्हें मतलब नहीं लोगों को रोज़ बेच जा रहा है. हमारे देश के युवा, वोह भी चुप हैं. और बहुत ज़्यादा शर्म आती है जब रोज़ ज़िन्दगी में किसी न किसी तरीके से महिलाओं को कमज़ोर समझा जाता है. जब लोग बात करते हैं की कैसे भारत में महिलाओं को छोटी से बड़ी हर बात में दबाया जाता है.

P.S. I feel ashamed, sad and angry not just for the prevalence of human trafficking in India (and across the world), but all human rights violations happening right now as we read this in my country - in Kashmir, against women, against Dalits (and the havoc that casteism plays), against the LGBT community, besides all other important issues.

What is mind boggling (and frustrating) is that us - the "21st century" generation, so called "young change makers" and "drivers of the future" people are busy pursuing a lucrative career and a "well settled" life. No, I am not judging. Everybody has a right to choose the kind of life they want.

And in no way do I expect everyone to be a full time social activist. That would be unreasonable because after all we need each profession to be working not just for the wider national economy, but even for our individual lives. However, I feel ashamed when many people do not have an opinion about these issues, they simply do not care, they are content in being ignorant, they do not raise their voice where they can and should, in the small tiny private spaces, (leave alone the public ones). It is absolutely disgusting to not be able to understand as to how none of this concerns each one of us!

We are at a critical phase in history, being at the juncture of witnessing and living through some of the most critical and deciding events of our time. This is "our time" and if we are to behave ignorant, I have no clue what the generations after us are to make of us. I will not blame them for judging us.

"if not now, then when"??!!

In national and international solidarity.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Pankhs for this:) It stirred and shook me, literally.

    ReplyDelete