Wednesday 17 February 2016

The JNU Conundrum

2

I don't understand why misrepresentations and miscommunication lead to debates around nationalism, democracy and what not. I don't understand why the mainstream discussions almost never hit the right chords. It seems that everything is being moulded to prove a point, which is not even the point of contention in the first place.
In such times, I am standing in solidarity with the students of not just JNU, but all the similar movements for rights to expression to right to education around the world. 
What happened in JNU was a misuse of many things including power. However, the current ways to tackle it, is there no other way?
Amidst this, I question myself (trying hard not to) - why don't we invest so much energy and efforts into doing what we as development professionals, humanitarians, acitvists should be doing, should be bringing to mainstream discussions - improving people's lives. There are so many issues that demand immediate attention, where the lives of millions is at stake but that never converts into a revolution or a campaign.
Maybe, this is how it will always be. Maybe, it is about priorities. Maybe, I am wrong. Maybe, proving ideologies and arguments through various means will bring change and save real lives some day. Maybe....
In Solidarity with Humanity.

2 comments:

  1. I can't find a dislike button here. Is there any, at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so my blogger template or any blogger temp;ate has any. However, you can always contend any statement to fulfil your desire to unlike it.

      Delete