Monday 11 July 2016

If Only

0

Picture taken in Leh, Ladakh, India   (Spot me! :D)                               

At one point or the other in life (actually most of the times), most of us try to find solace in music, movies, books, places and people. Despite this, we never seem to have 'found solace permanently'. This blog post is about finding solace, peace and not getting bogged down by the 'reality' of life. Or may be it is not.

While writing this blog post, as I listen to the the song Yeh Pal by Prateek Kuhad, my mind is fixated on the following lyrics -

यह कैसा खेल है, क्यों इधर हम फंस गए. 
यह वादों का है क्या, आज हैं कल नहीं.

So blunt, isn't it? Yet so simple and true. We all feel trapped in situations, moments and relationships. We may feel dejected and betrayed of some wrong done to us, dreams shattered or promises crushed. Most of the times, things do not seem to be as planned. May be this is because we 'assume and trust' that whatever we plan in that fairy tale like mind of ours is perfect and real. We fixate our heart on these plans and dreams. We cannot bear that they be broken into pieces in front of of us. We crib, we shout, we stress out, we cry, and we distance ourselves from who we are.

So, when plans choose to diverge, promises broken and dreams seem shattered, we find solace outside of us - in people, places, food or books. Too much of a reality check? Too much of pessimism? What to do - the heart wants what it wants!

Philosophy teaches us many things about this and it might even have some answers. Having started to read the same lately, I 'think' that if this world is in a constant state of flux as propounded by Heraclitus in 500 B.C., then why do we fixate on our plans so much? He proves the same by stating that you can never step into the same river twice. So is it possible to plan the course of that river which is so dynamic, instantaneous and 'fragile'?

Actually I don't have any idea on how to save ourselves from all the heart breaks and everything negative in life. I would just say this - do not expect, do not make promises, do not assume, and do not plan so much for God's sake (!!); relax, chill, eat, travel and read with the belief that at least you are there for yourself and that is okay! 

All that we need to survive and truly live does not require us to be grown up or reach a certain stage in life or earn a certain amount of money. I always imagine myself in a peaceful and isolated place doing what I love with no rush or inclination to prove anything to anyone. I also imagine myself drinking hot coffee in my favorite cup while writing. I also imagine myself dancing to the tunes of the wind in that special place. I imagine how wonderful it would be to stare out of those large glass windows out in the mountains, maybe. And I want to do all of this as soon as possible. But is this possible? Don't most of us want this? However, very few of us actually live this. Why?

This is tough. This is not easy, the reason why very few, very few of us are actually able to live this. After all, it takes a great deal of courage and innate strength to just be, to love, to take that leap of faith, to trust, to fall and rise again, to choose the road less traveled. Because most of this will not fill your resumes or will not get you in the 'league' or may not even be according to the 'standards' of the world. And worst of all, many-a-times we may think that we have taken the road less traveled when we haven't (the horror of reality versus myth)!

But I will live what I dream of. I know. I am actually living this, maybe. And people who are not, they might be losing out on a lot or maybe not. I don't care. But I do care about me. I don't want to be a part of the universe's regret that most people end up in. I want to be a part of the universe's hope, smiles and happiness. I am taking steps each day to 'not plan' or be of a certain age or earn a certain amount of money in order to make this dream a reality. I am actually trying to live it with what I already have and I know that I always will. And one day, when I actually have that place, I shall write to you while sipping hot coffee in my favorite cup, sitting by those windows. 

इससे न ज़्यादा
इससे न काम
बस इतना ही
हर दिन.

Until next time,
I am off backpacking across Europe, trying to comprehend Philosophy's One Big Question - What is reality?
:-)

P.S. Is it really important to differentiate between dreams and reality? Does this differentiation give rise to all woes?

0 comments:

Post a Comment