Friday 24 July 2015

A Thank You Note

0

I believe that we need to express more and more to make this world a beautiful place, although I struggle very hard to do the same. For instance, we need to let people know that we are grateful to them. So what can we do when an auto driver leaves us home with a smile, when a seller sells us something kindly, when a waiter at a restaurant serves us warmly, or even to our friends and family for the little things they do for us?

One fine day back in 2013, I felt that giving money in return for someone's products or services is something we all do. But that doesn't seem to convey gratefulness. So what else can we do to let people know that we really appreciate their presence in our life, even if it is momentarily. So I started the year 2014 with a small promise to myself - for the next one month, I shall make 'Thank You' notes and distribute these to people, strangers or known, who touch my heart with their kindness, love and humanity. I believed that this could be a small contribution to making this world a more peaceful and happy place.

The reactions I got in return left me amazed! I had to do nothing and I stared getting so much in return, in the form of heartfelt smiles, genuine blessings and of course, lots and lots of memories and new friends. I remember an instance when an auto driver kept the note besides the picture of his God in the auto, as if he was finally being recognized and appreciated for his work! I noticed that people took money. But people took these notes with a smile; they felt rewarded.

Since then, I have been distributing these notes. It would be safe to say that I will continue to do so all my life. It takes just 10 minutes to make around 60 notes, which last for around two months. I keep them in my wallet and bag, so that I do not regret not having them when I need them the most.

Small random acts of kindness go a long way in spreading happiness and smiles. Don't underestimate them! Here is a a small experience- 

At Connaught Place, New Delhi, India     Image Copyright: Pankhuri
I was taking her picture from a distance. She 'caught' me and asked about it.

I went to her and showed the picture I had taken.
Me: Do you want me to keep this or delete this?
She: Okay keep it. But where will it go?
Me: I am learning. It will remain with me.
She: Okay but when you take this out, give a copy to me.
Me: If I take a photograph out in hard copy, I sure will. Do you come here daily to sell fruits?
She: Yes. I come from Nawada and sit here from 8 am in the morning to 9 pm at night. After all, I need to feed myself and my family.
Me: Right. So from where do you get the fruits?
She: From Azadpur Mandi. Whatever I do, I earn it through hard work. What is the use of doing something through wrong means!
Me: You are right. This is for you (while giving a thank you note).
She took it. The picture above shows her emotions. 
She: God Bless you and do not forget to give me the picture if you take it out.
Me: I will not forget. Thank you. :-)

How much time, energy or resources does it cost to do something like this? Not much for what we experience in return! 

Waiting for the day when one of my thank you note comes back to me.

Happy Spreading Gratitude and Smiles! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment